THESE ARE FAST, LOW COST, AND LAST-MINUTE LESSONS FOR YOUR TODDLER you can put together in hopefully a creative way so your child(ren) can learn about the gospel!


I know I am not the first mom to think, Wow, my oldest child is a Sunbeam in primary, or I have a toddler, and our family really needs to start having actual FHE lessons! But what kinds of things can we do with their level of intelligence and attention span?


I've done research on Pinterest and Sugerdoodle and found many moms with their own blogs saying the same things. I have decided to reiterate and solidify what my son is learning in Primary Sharing Time because it will help him learn to go over what he learned the day before again. At this age, repetition is key, right?!


Sunday, April 21, 2013

Priesthood Authority Restored

We are going to skip to week 3 of the Primary Manual because that is what my son learned today and that's probably what a lot of wards are doing due to General Conference 2 weeks ago. Though I know many are combining weeks 2 and 3.

Today my littlest son had a fever, so I stayed home with him and sent my other son to church with my in-laws. He came back in his hand with a cute little "key chain" in hand and gave it to me (which I thought was cute). The trumpet represents that in the old days, if there was a big announcement, they would blow trumpets. And the two big announcements in the restoration of the gospel are the 2 Priesthood keys: Aaronic and Melchizedeck.



SONG: Another rendition of "I Belong to the Church of Jesus Christ"

Again, I want to address the concepts that he is familiar with. He sees the sacrament being passed every Sunday. We've been to some baptisms. He's received many blessings when he's been sick and witnessed other ill people being blessed. So I think we can revisit these things and explain a little more about the Priesthood.

"After the prayer we'll ask, what can we do with keys?"

This is taken straight from the church website:

"With a set of keys, you can do a lot of things that you wouldn't otherwise be able to do-enter buildings, drive cars, and open trunks, among other things. Keys, basically, mean authority and access.

"The same is true of priesthood keys. They control access to the blessings and ordinances of the priesthood."

Then I'll say, there are 2 Priesthood keys:
1. Aaronic
2. Melchizedek

I'll probably have him repeat after me because those are hard words!

Continuing,
AARONIC
"Do you remember the boys to pass the sacrament? That is the Aaronic Priesthood!"
"And the boys who say a prayer before it is passed? They are blessing the sacrament and using the Aaronic Priesthood!"
"Do you remember when we went to a baptism? And they put the person all the way under the water? That was also done by the Aaronic Priesthood!"

MELCHIZEDEK
"Now, you remember when you or your brother are sick? And Papai or Vovo come and put their hands on your head and give you uma bencao? (a blessing) They are using the Melchizedek Priesthood"
"When babies are born, they get brought up to the front of the chapel and they get a blessing too! That's with the Melchizedeck Priesthood!"
"And when mommy and daddy go to the temple, the things done inside are done with the Melchidedek Priesthood!"

And...as always, because my son is 3 and probably more visually oriented in his learning, we'll go over it one more time but with pictures.

I'll take a printed out "Aaronic" and the pictures showing each of these things as well as the word, "Melchizedek." I know he can't read them, but for matching purposes, to group together the pictures that go with each priesthood, it is fine. :) Feel free to print this out, cut out the pictures, and help your child(ren) to place them under the proper place.

(sorry everything is all squished together...not sure how to fix it because my Word wasn't working so I had to do it on Google docs)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-k3T37KcmM9cHQCTvm_EmOviNGss0D7QEahtLMc1y2Y/pub

No comments:

Post a Comment